Monday, August 27, 2012

Quick and Easy... Just the Way I like It.

Life is full of ironies.  Although, I'm not sure if this example is actual irony or what I think is irony, thanks to Alanis Morissette.  However, this was the easiest recipe from the book I've made.  Seriously, it took 5 minutes to preparing and I think three of those minutes were spent gathering the ingredients. This is a recipe that you could use on a daily basis.  And it tasted great too.  The irony, is that it was so simple and easy, but I'm so late on posting this.  I made this on the 12th.  I'm posting on the 27th.

Side note, that is not ironic, it's laziness.  But feel free to debate in the comments below.

So on the menu today is Crispy Grilled Chicken Thighs and a special treat Nordy Bars.

That's right, 5 ingredients.

So you first step is to make the seasoning base.  Mix the Mayo, salt, chili powder and cayenne pepper together and coat on chicken thighs (skin on, bone in).  Then cover with plastic and refrigerate for two hours.    

So easy.  Seriously.  So easy.




Although, mixing the chicken in the goop was kind of disgusting.  In case you don't know, I hate Mayo.  With a passion.  It looks gross.  It has a gross texture.  And it doesn't really add anything to a sandwich, other than grossness.  Now mustard... that's a condiment.  But I digress.  Fortunately, this is the kind of recipe I'll use Mayo in;  the kind that completely covers the taste of mayo up and only lightly coats it on, and then covers it up.


While waiting for the chicken to refrigerate, I made the Nordy Bars.  I would like to thank Shaylee Droubay, the only follower of this blog (other than me), for this recipe (Seriously, why is no one else following this blog.  I can't even get courtesy family follows).  They're amazing.  Too bad I don't think I did a very good job making them.  They ended up too gooey.  They're supposed to be more brownie like, but we had to eat them with a fork.




First you melt the butter, then add the butterscotch chips and brown sugar.  I was fine up until then.  After that It just went downhill.  You then add two eggs, but while I was trying to get a picture taken of the eggs (since I didn't have a cameraman), the eggs started to cook slightly while I was stirring.  So I ended up with little chucks of egg whites.  In the end, not a huge deal.  You wouldn't be able to tell in the finished product.  But still...


After that, you add the flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla.  I rocked that step.



This is where I think I really messed up, though.  You wait until the mixture is cool and then add the marshmallows, chocolate chips and then nuts.  I think I got impatient and didn't let the mixture cool enough.  And then, I don't think I let it cook long enough.  So all in all, it tasted great, but didn't really turn out that good.  It looked awesome, though.



So now to the moment I'm sure you're all waiting for... Can you really make fried chicken (more or less) on a grill.  And the answer is, yes.  Yes, you can.  But I didn't.  So, living without a grill is hard.  I have to rely on Liberty Park for my free grills.  Turns out, they were all in use.  I was hungry, so I did what Veronica calls, reverse grilling.  Covering the chicken in bread crumbs, I broiled the chicken.  It turned out fine.  I but the broil on low and then put it on the middle rack.  Top one browned the chicken too much.  It was tender and moist and delicious.  It had a little kick to it, but not too much.  So I get a win for the day (with an asterisk, of course). 


The tomatoes were good too.  Veronica was skeptical about cooking a tomato, but it turned out fine.  But there was almost no point in doing this though.  It only made the tomato warm, the flavor was literally exactly the same.

Well that's it.  Expect another post soon.  I just made a most awesome dinner for Veronica and my 1st anniversary (grammar people help me out, everything sounds wrong there. Veronica and mine?  Veronica and I's?).

Until then, don't just sit there, go make something delicious to eat.

6 comments:

  1. I always read your blog...I just can't ever figure out how to follow the dang blog you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to the front page. There is a follow button on the right hand side. You can also do a more complicated way on your blogger profile.

      Delete
  2. Be excited. I took the step. I am now a legit follower of your blog. Not just a closet follower like I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot diggity. Now if you make a blog, I'll follow you!

      Delete
  3. I totally follow too. I quite enjoy it :) Now if only I could enjoy the food..or even cooking it myself...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CANDICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss you. Come back to Utah. You can even bring your family! ;-)

      Delete