Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mission Accomplished!

Hey everyone,

This entry was weird.  The Lemon Raspberry Sorbet cake was possibly the easiest recipe in the book.  Yet it took much longer to make than I care to admit.

Shopping was the first issue.  I have never bought sorbet before, so locating it was difficult.  I know where to find it now and they stick out like sore thumbs.  At the time, however, they were hiding like I was going to partially melt them and make them into a cake.  I can't tell you how many times I walked up and down the freezer isle with a stupid expression on my face.  Finally I found some.  Mission Accomplished!  Too bad I left the aircraft carrier at home.


After running around two stores like a chicken with my head cut off, I was ready to make this cake.  So I started with prepping the spring-form pan.  Easy enough.  Just butter it.


I had nobody to take action shots for this part, so I was trying to work and take a picture at the same time.

Next came the tricky part,  putting parchment paper around the edges or the spring-form pan.  You do this for two reasons.  One, to keep it from sticking to the pan.  And two, because the cake ends up taller than the pan.  I attempted this way too many times.  What ended up happening is that as I would close the clasp on the pan, the paper would go skiwampus.  Finally, It worked.  Hard part over, right.

Then to make the Oreo cookie crust.  I've made these tons of times.  Easy as pie, right.  Noooope!  Faster than Ygritte could say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow," I forgot sugar.  I was completely out of sugar.  Oh well, quick trip to a convenience store later and I was set.


Now, I followed the recipe, but it wasn't enough crust.  It just wasn't.  I would recommend doubling the crust.  Now after freezing the crust for a several minutes, it was super easy.  The lemon layer was up first.  By now, the sorbet was soft and easy to form into the pan.  Then I froze that layer.  The recipe tells you to freeze for 45 minutes, but I was getting tired and only froze it for about 25 minutes.  It turned out fine.  Then I added the raspberry layer.  By that time I had someone to take action shots with my camera.





Then I let it freeze overnight.  The rest was even easier.  I made the chocolate topping.  Let that freeze for a little while and cut some holes so I could put candles in the cake.






 Voila!  Birthday cake!  The recipe is super easy and anyone can do it.  If anyone has good tips for the parchment paper/spring-form pan trick, let me know.



Until next time, go make something and eat it.

Lemon-Raspberry Sorbet Cake

2 comments:

  1. No, YOU go make something and eat it! Oh wait, that's what this blog is about.... awkward...

    ReplyDelete