So I was buying groceries with Veronica one day and I came across a Food Network magazine. And since I was hungry while shopping, I made a lot of superfluous purchases. This was one of them. But what sold me on this book was that there was a visual index of all the recipes, and they all looked so delicious. So Veronica and I came up with a most excellent idea... To make the entire magazine and make a blog about it. I swear i saw this in a movie once.
So first up, I decided to make a Spinach frittata, skirt steak with arugula salad, and one of the three varieties of frozen bananas.
So because the banana needed 4 hours to freeze, I decided to make it first. The recipe seemed simple enough. Melt chocolate, dip bananas in chocolate, freeze for two minutes, roll in toppings, and finally, freeze for four hours. Seems simple. But it didn't work too well. I might have frozen the bananas initially too long, but I couldn't roll the banana in the toppings. So what I did was think about giving up. Then Lynette had a great idea to heat the bananas in the oven to melt the chocolate slightly.
There's me looking at the bananas in the oven... very depressed.
So Lynette saves the day again, we then chop up the bananas, and put them and the rest of the toppings (cinnamon, granola, and dried cranberries) in a cup.
I call it "Cup o' Disappointment"
So fresh off that defeat, i moved on to the frittata. First step was to saute the scallions and spinach leaves.
Then after the spinach leaves had wilted, I made the egg mixture, added it to the spinach and feta cheese.
While the frittata was cooking in the oven I chopped up the vegetables for the arugula salad (basil leaves, radishes, grape tomatoes) then I tossed the salad with capers and brine. The next step was to make the bread to go into the salad. The recipe called for ciabatta rolls, but I substituted it with a rosemary garlic loaf. I chopped up half the loaf and browned it in a skillet with olive oil.
Then I added garlic, kosher salt, and pepper. The pepper ended up being a bad idea. For some reason it filled up the kitchen and caused all involved to cough uncontrollably. We ended up having to air out the kitchen.
Meanwhile, the frittata finished.
Finally I cooked the skirt steak, seasoning with kosher salt and pepper.
Finished product.
My "Cup o' Disappointment"
So overall, I loved the frittata and skirt steak. The bananas were delicious, but the failure was still fresh in my mind. I wasn't a fan of the arugula salad. I didn't like the caper flavoring.
So until next time. Eat some food.
It was my idea to put the bananas in the oven. Now go make me more food.
ReplyDeleteSorry Veronica, I knew I'd mess that detail up.
ReplyDeleteI forgive you.
DeleteP.S. The arugula salad was totes awesome.
ReplyDeleteThat was quite impressive. I want to run out and try it myself. But I'll cook up this hot dog instead.
ReplyDeletei hope you keep posting....i haven't laughed this hard since the Seriously So Blessed blog :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteEat that poligi-frumps!
Delete